My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://poshlifeposhstyle.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Is This the End? – Is Black Love Dead: Part 1

Gentlemen, you're single – a man of color, educated, a bachelor, committed to no one in particular, able to party like Shawn Carter and sleep until noon with no one underfoot to tell you to do otherwise. It's a great life, and why shouldn't it be?

Still, that question keeps popping into your head: Should I settle down? Should I ransom my freedom? Should I embark on the great search for my soul mate and willingly kiss my single days goodbye forever?

When it comes to dating, romance or relationships, I get a rash. Maybe not the kind that requires topical ointment and a shot, but my mood definitely clouds over. I'll cop to being a skeptic, but a hardened cynic? Hardly. It's just that I've witnessed far too many relationships pander to the lowest common denominator. Relationship discussions about Black Love nowadays drip with mawkish sentimentalism, blatant manipulation and unrealistic circumstances.

Mama told me one day it was gonna happen, But she never told me when.

Just thinking about Black Love leaves me even more depleted and world weary. Honestly, I’m tired. Tired of hearing negative reports on black men in America and not knowing whether they're true. We are the most analyzed probed, prodded, under-studied, over-studied group ever.

What exactly is the definition of black love? Does it mean that if a person is a certan skin color, he or she will love differently? To me love is love. Love sees no color; I would have to agree with that. But it's not stupid either; and knows color exist. I believe in black love. It's deep and sometimes uplifting. It's joy and pain. It's anger, fear, and even confusion. Sometimes it can be just plain funny. It's the total human experience. It's life.

What ever happened to black love? Unfortunately 'Black Love' is nearly non-existent with this generation. If it's not dead, then it's on life support.

She told me it would happen when I was much older. Wish it would’ve happened then.

In the Washington area, there are 83 single black men for every 100 single black women. This ratio is very similar to Atlanta. For eligible black men, that equation can look like a dating smorgasbord, with seemingly limitless choices, and not just among black women. So what do men of color want? We want hassle free and haggle free dating!

Sure I can place a spotlight on black female behavior, as it relates to poor choices in men (ie: thugs, ballers, drug dealers) they make for themselves while overlooking black men who are honest, hardworking, and intelligent. Interesting enough, these are the same black females that constantly scream, "Where are all the good black men?" Guess what…we're here, and in great numbers.

But I guess that is what helped caused the death of black love. Maybe…just maybe…we got greedy with the ratio. We took advantage of a situation that works so well in our favor that it’s almost like the perfect dream. I mean we are so cocky with this, that we now wear shades at night, sport the bluetooth everywhere, and feel that women should actually pay for the date.

The bad black men of this world have been put on a pedestal by far too many black women. Good black men have no hope or support as long as black women favor the lowest level of the black male species. Oh how I envy the brothers that can drive a sister car all day, using up all her gas, and not refill it. What I wouldn’t give to be like the men who never open car doors, walk on the wrong side of the street, never send flowers, give back to the community, or even cook. Please God…send me more women that will allow me to do that!

But who cares these days. It’s almost over for Black Love. It’s as dead as the jherri curl.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: