My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://poshlifeposhstyle.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, July 3, 2008

FBBDA Wednesday: Fellas: If your profile pic is you topless and taken in the mirror by a camera phone...

It is a rush every single time. It can make you feel the highest you've ever felt and then give you a complete and total collapse. No, I'm not talking about my articles, or crack, but the facebook phenomenon. Don't lie to me, or yourself. You know you are addicted, but it's OK, because you are not alone. Problem is though, while you might be spending hours upon hours on the site, you could possibly be doing it all wrong. I was inspired by this from a post on FBBDA where member Corey of richradiolive.blogspot.com was speaking about some of the men who are basically topless on the ‘ol profile pic. So based upon my inspiration, I'm going to speak about a few things regarding Facebook.

First, let's talk pictures. Now ladies, if all I see of you consists of an alcoholic beverage in your hand…think about it. So, I guess for that matter, learn to use those CIA settings if you would like to post pics on your FB page.

Next, let me say this: Facebook is ruining one of the obligations that friends should have for each other - to remember birthdays. There used to be a day when people wrote down each other's birthdays on calendars, or hey, even remembered them. Now though, everyone has a three-day warning of when their friends' birthdays are, which is enough time to get a gift and card. With that said, if you don't have your birthday listed in your profile, you may as well just forget your birthday, because everyone else in the world will too.

Learn anything yet? Hope so. Let's move on to this whole networking thing. Sure, it is great to know the people you are friends with on facebook, but make sure you use the "how you met someone" feature to tell something that we didn't already know. I'll give a few examples. The first is that I don't need Facebook to keep track of things like how we are best friends.

I also like to say something to the Facebook promoters of events. Please…stop. The invites are worse than spam.

One of the biggest problems that some people have with Facebook is the semi-new "News Feed." I'm going to say this though - While it is called a "News Feed" this shouldn't literally be all the news you care about. If the only news that is important to you has to do with what group your friend joined or that someone added "Good Times" to their list of TV shows, you probably should get out more. Instead, maybe you should get your news from, I don't know, the only news Web site worth going too: chaunceyistheman.com!

Seriously, I’ve seen it when a couple use the “in a relationship” feature to let the world know that booville has occurred. Then a few weeks later…this couple is no longer in a relationship. Embarrassing stuff.

As I move on. Fellas, I haven't heard of one woman getting creeped out by trying to get picked up and poked randomly on facebook. That means, I don't care how much you have in common with a girl, facebook isn't for matchmaking. Trust me on this. Don’t believe half of what you see on the pics or believe half on what you hear via chat. It’s the internet and any one can create a new identity.

Last but not least: Fellas, stop posing half naked on profile pics using a camera phone. That’s gross. Have some dignity about yourself. In the words of Audre Lorde, “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive. “ Think about it.

So, once again, this brings me to the end of another exhilarating FBBDA Wednesday. Hope you've learned something valuable.

Tomorrow, join me as I continue the second part of my series regarding Black Love, entitled Sorry…Your Not My Kind of Girl – Is Black Love Dead: Part 2.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: