My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://poshlifeposhstyle.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, July 25, 2008

CNN’s Black in America: Black Men

Warning: Chauncey is about to get sarcastic.

So, the sound track for the segment on Black Men should have been Marvin Gaye’s “Inner City Blues”. Ya’ll know the line: “Makes me wanna Holla throw up both my hands, yeah! make me wanna throw up my hands.” I felt from the division of the issues that Black men was not going to fair well. Wednesday night: Black Women and Family, how nice of them to link Black women and family together in one night.

Baby Jesus knows we can’t spend too much time on Black women and surely we can’t be expected to pull much from the Black family in about an hour; but the Black man. Heck yeah, give him all night to pick out prison stats, college enrollment stats, absentee father stats, high school drop out stats, fatherless boys stats, hmmm oh yeah, drug use and drug career stats. Let me crunch the stats, hmm, 2a + (1-3) - 7(b) - 12 (4 + 8- ab + bc = lawd jayzus.

Warning: Chauncey is about to get serious.

It is quite a task to try to put content under the title of “ Black in America.” I think O’Brien did a great job of talking to a wide range of people and some of the stories were truly touching. She did a reasonable job of incorporating the negative things because America need to see that side of reality. However, I do think some form of balance should have been used along with more substantial discussions about solutions.

The one thing that I thought could really just be gone forever and I wouldn’t shed a tear was that poet dude. I love arts and a major supporter of it, but the spoken word brother was killing me. He was annoying because he seemed to take away from the seriousness of the presentation. .

This episode was more depressing for me than the previous one because it just reminded me of all of the problems that face our community. We were presented (once again) with the crack epidemic, criminality, lack of job opportunities, discrimination, prison and on and on. So many young black men become resigned to a fate that they are doomed to a life of crime, violence and drugs. Many of them will die in prison.

Good stuff CNN.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK I am with you about the poet dude. My first reaction was "OK anyone seeing this in the first 3 seconds thinks all we are gonna do is rap for 2 hours. Good damn."

I liked it overall, but I think it was just preaching to the choir. They could have marketed it better. Only educated black folks watched it and are talking about it. The segment about employment could have been much deeper. Get some discussion going with White America. Put them on camera, lets see what they think about these issues and the stats. Get the companies with low numbers of minorities on their payroll to start answering some questions. Let's try that.

Great example of the lack of empathy: Anderson's follow up. I had to wait for 30 min of headline news just to hear Solidad talk to other educated blacks about what we just saw, oh and DL talk about racial profiling. My man Anderson had nothing to say...much like White America.

Next time they do this, they need to change their target audience.