I'm a man of color "blessed" with the metabolism of a hyperactive 8 year old. I am 5'11" and weigh about 185-188 lbs. I lift on a regular basis (4-5 times per week), but I used to have a problem gaining weight. Despite my athletic years playing football, soccer, baseball, and track I have always had the slender, athletic look. If you haven’t observed, black men come in different shapes, sizes, and colors. So as I prepare to train to compete in triathlons, I would like to bulk up at least 15 pounds
Generally to gain weight, you need more of everything, more meat, milk, starches, fruits and vegetables. Temper all this with some added fats, oils and sweets. Increasing your intake of junk foods and greasy foods is not a good way to gain weight. Junk foods usually contain unhealthy trans fats or saturated fats. Even though you need to increase your calorie consumption to gain weight, those calories should come from foods that are good for you.
Healthy fats include fatty acids sources like tuna, salmon, flax, and walnuts. Good sources of protein include lean meats, fish, poultry, nuts, seeds and legumes. Healthy carbohydrate sources include fruits, vegetables and whole grains. It may be easier to eat five or six smaller meals per day rather than eating three large meals, especially if you are not used to eating much at one sitting. Protein powders and nutritional supplement drinks such as Carnation, Boost, Ensure, or a shake from Smoothie King can be added as in-between meal snacks if you still need more calories. Some protein powders are flavored and only need added water and some others can be blended with your choice of juice or milk to improve the taste.
Use these tips and tools to help gain weight.
1. Add healthy calories to breakfast with an extra slice of whole-grain toast and peanut butter.
2. Mid-morning and afternoon snacks should be nutritious, not junk. Trail mixes contain healthy nuts, dried fruits and can add healthy calories to your diet.
3. Don't add calories to your meals by choosing unhealthy fried foods such as french fries, chicken nuggets and fish sticks. Choose healthy foods such as baked potatoes, baked chicken and fish; just make your portions a bit bigger.
4. Keep your meals balanced. One meal should have a healthy protein source such as fish, low fat meat, chicken or legumes plus two or three servings of vegetables. Green vegetables add lots of vitamins, while starchy potatoes and corn add extra calories.
5. Drink healthy beverages such as milk and fruit juices to add calories. Don't choose sugary sodas, which only add calories and no nutrition.
6. Design a weight training program that compliments weight training


2 comments:
I already know how to gain weight. I've been practicing my fool-proof technique for about 25 years now. LOL.
You are one of the lucky ones. With my speed racer metabolism, it was a tad bit hard.
Post a Comment